Monday, February 05, 2007

CCI - Blog/Vlog Conference

Saturday, after a meeting, I headed over for the Blogging/Vlogging Conference, hosted by the Coalition for Critical Inquiry.

I was only able to make it to the very last session. It was a panel session which focused on the impact and future of blogs and vlogs. It was moderated by Allison Kaftan and the panel consisted of Joey Baer, Tayler Mayer, Jared Evans and Shane Feldman.

It was a very interesting session about blogs and vlogs. I was particularly interested in Joey's presentation about vlogs. Several times, I've considered doing a vlog. However, I was telling Chris Kaftan that I'm overly critical of my signs. By the time I review myself before posting, I find myself deleting the entire vlog post. Maybe I should just ignore and just go ahead and post.

Another interesting thing to consider was the credibility of blogs and vlogs. I forgot who (Shane?) mentioned it but I thought was an interesting point. Mainstreamed (read: hearing) blogs and vlogs are often commentaries of news that have been reported in newspapers and in television. News in newspapers and television are supposed to be verified facts.

Ok, now, with Deaf blogs and vlogs, readers often assume or rely postings to be facts. The problem is that we don't have Deaf newspapers or television shows reporting on Deaf events. We also don't have the mainstreamed media reporting on Deaf events. So, where and how can we present verified facts in our postings?

Next, we need to raise accountability in bloggers and vloggers. Bloggers & vloggers need to explicitly clarify when something is factual and when something is of their own opinions. I believe this is going to raise everyone's (bloggers, vloggers, readers, commenters) awareness of accountability and credibility. Deaf blogs and vlogs have been in the infant stage these few years. However, with the exponential growth of Deaf bloggers and vloggers, we're moving up to the next stage. The next stage comes with maturity and scrutiny, which is needed.

Like I said, it was an interesting panel session. Also, I learned the new signs for blog and vlog. Hopefully, someone will do a vlog to show the new signs.

After that, I took the opportunity to meet bloggers in person. It was so nice to actually get to know each other. The people I met for the first time were: Jared Evans, Mike McConnell, David Evans and Joey Baer. I thought it was my first time meeting Tayler Mayer but he said that we met while we were graduate students at Gallaudet. Anyways, it was nice to meet him again. It was nice to see Katie Roberts again, after so many years. (I'm not sure if she has an active blog. I do know that she's an active commenter in many blogs.) There were a few people that I recognized but did not have a chance to formally introduce myself: Amy Cohen Efron, David Fulmer and Carl Schroeder.

Hopefully, there'll be another conference next year. If so, I do hope more Deaf bloggers and vloggers will attend.

By the way, congratulations to all the Deaf bloggers and vloggers who won the DeafRead 2006 Deaf Blogs awards! *hands waving*

Labels:

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there! You wrote: "Maybe I should just ignore and just go ahead and post."

Yes, go ahead and post! I certainly hope you will do that and remember, we always improve everytime we do something new! I look forward to seeing your first vlog soon!

BTW, it was nice meeting you last Saturday. I thought we had met before but I was mistaken. :)

4:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Larry,

Yeah, that was me. For the text version of my presentation, please go to:
http://www.deafdc.com/blog/shane-feldman/2007-02-05/my-vblogging-conference-presentation/

This was a very good analysis and summary of our panel.

4:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Larry,

Tell you what! I am ALWAYS critical of my own signs. Every time I complete my vlog, I am not satisfied. I just go ahead and post it.

And. It's also totally weird to watch myself on these vlogs. They are for my audience.

Larry, if you are critical of yourself, then it's a good sign. Just post it, and you will improve with time.

Carl

5:05 PM  
Blogger Jay said...

And it takes some courage to believe what you are saying. At the time you vlog, it usually felt good, but then after commenters made comments, sometimes you may second-guess yourself.

But then, I say to myself, if your content drew a debate, you have succeeded.

Jay

6:17 PM  
Blogger IamMine said...

Yeah...look at those guys up there. :D

Very nice of you all to encourage others!

I'd love to see your vlog!

I'm sorry, but I'm laughing at Carl's comments...I cannot imagine him looking at his vlogs and asking his ASL Dragon, "You think that's ok?? Really? Oh, I don't know!! Maybe we should try the waterfall, though, you think??" ;)

Go for it! And oh, if you do have female friends...tell them to v.l.o.g.

We need more females! *pounds on table*

:)

Vlog away!

9:14 PM  
Blogger LARRY said...

Y'all, thanks for your words of encouragement to vlog.

Joey - I've seen you around campus while I was a graduate student. Still see you around every now and then now that I'm teaching at Gally. Perhaps we did meet before. Ah well, it was nice to meet you.

Shane - good post in DeafDC. Will read it again tomorrow when I'm really awake.

Carl- good to know that you're critical of your signs. Whew! I'm not the only one. :-)

Jay - thanks for your comments. Yeah, thick skin is what bloggers and vloggers need. Although, I do believe that some commenters do have something worthy to say that bloggers and vloggers should take into consideration.

Iammine - LOL! Heck, I've been after my female friends to blog regularly. Maybe they'll do better with vlogging. :-)

11:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

vlogging? I'm still afraid to try it, I can't stand the thought of everyone seeing my mug on their computer signing away. It was hard enough for me to do the conference.

It was nice seeing you! :)

8:19 AM  
Blogger daryn said...

Hi Larry,

If you like the idea of video blogging as an easy way to communicate via signing, but don't want to have to post your videos publically each time, check out Eyejot.

It's basically a video webmail program, that makes it easy to send and receive video messages using just your webcam, without having to install any software.

It's really simple, and super handy for sending quick messages to your friends and colleagues.

Daryn
CTO/Co-founder
Eyejot

10:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My friend and I were recently talking about the ubiquitousness of technology in our daily lives. Reading this post makes me think back to that discussion we had, and just how inseparable from electronics we have all become.


I don't mean this in a bad way, of course! Societal concerns aside... I just hope that as the price of memory falls, the possibility of transferring our memories onto a digital medium becomes a true reality. It's one of the things I really wish I could encounter in my lifetime.


(Posted on Nintendo DS running [url=http://kwstar88.zoomshare.com/2.shtml]R4[/url] DS HomeBrow)

3:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home